Thursday, May 29, 2008

Craziness to it's fullest........







Last weekend was the Half Iron Man that Brian and I had been training for, for about for months or so. When we signed up for this we didn't realize it was the WORLDS TOUGHEST HALF. However I did wonder what WTH stood for. LOL..... Two days before the race we received an e-mail from the race director stating that the temperature was an all time high of 97 degrees and they were thinking of shortning the course. I wrote him right away and said I was all for that:) When we arrived at orientation he then announced that he appreciated everyones e-mails and that everyone wanted to keep the race the same distance. I almost stood up and said "ummmmm excuse me that's not what I wrote". LOL.. S0 we began the race at 7 in the morning and the temperature ranged from 97 to 100 degrees throughout the whole race. This was a 1.3 mile swim, 56 mile bike and 13.1 mile run so you can imagine how tired and exhausted I was and on top of it I had to make a conscious effort to drink water even when I wasn't thirsty. Everyone kept emphasizing how important it was for the athletes to stay hydrated. The swim was my biggest fear but it turned out to be the easiest thing for me. The Bike was CRAZY! On mile 10 someone yelled "you're almost there" I almost screamed back NO I"M NOT:) Hill after hill after hill could describe the bike. The Bike was trying but we both did a great job despite the fact that Brian had tried some new electrolite tablets in his water that made his stomach upset and the next thing I knew he was puking on mile 10. He looked at me and said he was done. I was soooooo extremely sad but was surprised when he caught me on mile 15 and said he was going to finish. Needless to say Brian is a trooper and even though he puked two to three times on the bike and twice on the run he still finished. He never gives up and that's something that admire in him. Of course there were times when I was thinking I can't believe we do this for fun but it really is a blast. The run was a trail run which added to the intensity of the race. The goal was to finish and we did. When I crossed the finish line I knew right away that I would do it again in a heart beat! I think I'm addicted:)

Here are some pictures that Brian's dad took of us. Thanks Clyde:)

And Brian thanks for being such a great friend and wonderful workout buddy. Couldn't have done it without you.

9 Comments:

Blogger Diane Bach said...

Wow- You just inspired me. I'm so proud of your accomplishment!! CONGRATS ON FINISHING...and on 97 degree plus weather...CRAZY! Way to go! My turn! :)

5:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I got a new electric scooter!

10:38 PM  
Blogger mary jane said...

I'm so proud of you guys...! It's an experience you will never forget - and I know you grew a lot in the process. I'm so glad you had each other.

7:25 AM  
Blogger Sofia Negron Photography said...

That is so awesome! Great Job! So proud of you. you rock! Miss ya!

5:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow. Impressive! Do they offer 1/26th marathons?

11:03 AM  
Blogger Vanessa said...

O M G !!!!!!!

AMY. I had no idea you had done it! I was with Peyl up in Cantabria and they told me all about it before I had a chance to read this. You are AMAZING!

Ahhhh! I miss you so much and am coming home SO soon! Get excited! :)

8:42 AM  
Blogger amynave said...

Vanessa! O totally wish you could have raced with us:) I miss you soooo much. When you coming back? YAY, can't wait to see you!

XOXO

9:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Amy, I'm so proud of you!!

That is just absolutely crazy you did that, but so impressive! Way to go!

7:44 PM  
Blogger Deyl said...

great shots!! you guys are animals :)

9:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home